Bills get quacked on; Ben Bishop stars; NFL notes; Shelby Miller video.
St. Louis U. had their worst game of the season at the worst possible time. Unfortunately, the NCAA tournament has no reset button to try again on the biggest stage. Instead of a trip to the Sweet 16, the Billikens season came crashing down. That’s the harsh reality of the tournament.
Between the special camaraderie from a resilient group playing for their late coach to winning the Atlantic 10 Championship, the story was getting too good to be true — and that’s when Oregon entered the frame.
The biggest concern with SLU was their inability to score. Great defense can only do so much. The Billikens had no answer for a Oregon squad that shot 60% from outside the paint, the best field goal percentage from that distance in any game in the last two Men’s Basketball Championships.
Meanwhile, SLU shot 38% from the field including a crippling 3-for-21 from deep.
I’m not going to rip SLU — they had a memorable season despite difficult circumstances. They battled; they won, and helped reestablish basketball in Midtown. All of those players deserve better than the flat showing against Oregon.
- SLU missed eight free throws (14/22)
- Rob Loe had a terrible game: 0 FG 1 Rebound 1 Turnover
- Cory Remekun and Cody Ellis combined for 23 points against New Mexico State. Together they had just three points against the Ducks.
- Kwamain Mitchell, Mike McCall Jr., and Jordair Jett had no answer for Damyean Dotson. Dotson netted 23 points while knocking down a career-high five 3-point field goals.
- The Ducks are no fluke. They can hang with Louisville if they continue their torrid shooting.
BISHOP TO THE RESCUE
Ben Bishop (7-4) stole a 3-2 shootout win for the Ottawa Senators on Monday night, making him a perfect 2-for-2 against the Devils and the future Hall of Famer Marty Brodeur.
The former Blue Note bailed out his teammates again and again, stopping 27 shots in regulation, guaranteeing the Senators at least a point by extending the contest to extra time. He then stopped five more in overtime and three of four in the shootout to complete his fantastic night.
Bishop’s .923 save percentage is 4th best in the NHL; his four shootout wins are tied for 2nd most; and he owns a respectable 2.54 GAA.
- The Rams are trying to re-sign safety Quentin Mikell. They need each other; Mikell played well last season and hasn’t attracted the free agent market he hoped for when opting against restructuring his contract.
- The Arizona Cardinals have a QB dilemma. They are working out former North Carolina State quarterback Mike Glennon on Tuesday. If the Cardinals were to draft Glennon, he’d join a quarterback depth chart that also includes Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Lindley and John Skelton. They miss Kurt Warner, bad.
- The Ravens made a big splash stealing Elvis Dumervil from Denver. Gone are Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Paul Kruger, and Benard Pollard. Big deal. Dumervil and Haloti Ngata can anchor the entire defense.
DID YOU KNOW?
Tyler Greene was cut by the Houston Astros over the weekend after they signed Ronny Cedeno, who had been released by St. Louis last week. One man’s trash is another man’s, well, trash.
Thanks for reading.